Prairie falcons, Barn Owls, and  Ravens.  The cavities were in the mud banks,
and the same ones were used  year after year.

Cheers, Bob Goodman

In a message dated 5/8/2012 2:28:32 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Regarding Great Horned Owls nesting in cavities in cliffs, I found  a pair
that raised young from a nest in a cliff cavity high above Desert Creek  in
southern Douglas County when I was working on the NV Breeding Bird Atlas
some years ago.

Mary Jo  Elpers

-----Original Message-----
From:  Linda Hiller <[log in to unmask]>
To: NVBIRDS  <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue, May 8, 2012 11:33  am
Subject: new bird

Heard a bird that sounded like one of  our ubiquitous Bewick's wrens on my
alk in the desert yesterday and didn't  have my binoculars. I could see it,
here at the top of a bitterbrush (just  like a Bewick's), and the song was
imilar, eye stripe was visible, yup  Bewick's. Just in case I could enlarge
shot of the bird later, I aimed my  point-and-shoot camera at it and got
ome pics. Black-throated Sparrow! Not  a rare bird, I know, but one that is
nusual here in Jacks Valley, south of  Carson City.
We are at the "becalmed" stage here right now . we have usual  suspects but
ess of them as they're off nesting. The Bullock's orioles are  in full
orce, battling each other at our popular Oriolefest grape jelly  feeder
along with one black-headed grosbeak, robins, finches and starlings  who
lso love the jelly). I've said it before and I'm saying it again, if  you
on't feed grape jelly, you're missing out!
The cedar waxwings have  left for the most part although yesterday they
ipped in and out. And thanks  to everyone who looked at the fuzzy pic of the
ystery owl in a cliff hole.  Interestingly, the consensus is great horned
wl! Of course, we can all id  that bird in our sleep, but it's a fascinating
ase of not seeing a bird  where you expect to see it. I have never seen
reat horns nesting like this,  but Kathy O. said she saw it last year, and
ho knows, here in Carson Valley  where we've lost many tall trees, maybe
his species is just adapting!
Good birding, all . Linda Hiller

Linda Hiller
(775) 267-3580  home office