Washoe County Birds 5/10/14

Dovid Kozlovsky <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 11 May 2014 03:37:19 -0400

Hi All,

Today was a great day at 7 locations around Washoe with a total of 93 species.

Day started at Thomas Creek, where I had a Nevada first right out of the car. A Green-tailed Towhee singing and photographed. Also present was a pair of Western Bluebirds, Black-Headed Grosbeaks, Yellow-rumped warblers (Audubon's), and Blue-gray Gnatcatchers. 4 Warbling Vireos and a Red-breasted Sapsucker were also present.

Next up was Galena. There were 2 Song, 2 Savannah, 2 Chipping and 3 Fox (Slate-colored) Sparrows. A Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher and a Hermit Thrush round out the highlights.

At Davis Creek the Calliope Hummingbird was on its usual branch. There are now two male MacGillivray's and Yellow Warblers. A Dusky Flycatcher was flitting off one of the willows and two Warbling Vireos were in the same tree.

Deadman's Creek had 2 of the previously reported Long-eared Owls and 3 Rock Wrens.

Damonte Ranch Wetland Pond had All Swallows, but mostly Cliff and Bank. 15 Long-billed Dowitchers and one that could have been a Short-billed, but I am not confident. There were a few Northern Pintails, Pied-billed Grebe, and Cinnamon Teal. Mixed in with a dozen and a half Wilson's Phalarope were 8 Red-necked Phalarope. By this point the clouds rolled in and it got very windy as it began to drizzle. I decided to check the wetland quickly and as I was heading across Veternan's Pkwy 25 White-faced Ibis flew in.

Almost immediately I had a Say's Phoebe followed rapidly by a quick look at a FOS Common Yellowthroat. I tried to get a picture, but the uncooperative bird and the rain made it impossible. A pair of Northern Shovelers, a Northern Harrier and a Bunch of Swallows were seen as  I quickly walked to the car. I returned to the wetland later that day on my way to a BBQ to pick up my last species, a Sora.

Oxbow was mostly uneventful. It was getting colder and windier. An Osprey was seen overhead and a Virginia Rail was heard in the marsh.

I took a little break after that before heading to Rancho San Rafael Nature Trail. This was by far the biggest surprise and treat. I wish I had brought my camera, but the rain and clouds prevented it. At first I saw a handful of Yellow-rumped Warblers (Audubon's one and all), but than to my delight I saw 2 male Wilson's, a male Townsend's, an Orange-crowned, and even a FOS male Black-throated Gray Warbler. Also present was, a Gray Flycatcher, a male Western Tanager and a Plumbeous Vireo.  The Great-Horned Owls reported by Fred were doing well.

Sorry for the huge email.
Happy Birding,
Dovid Kozlovsky
Reno, NV