NVBIRDS  February 2014

NVBIRDS February 2014

Update from the Nevada Bird Records Committee (long)

Martin Meyers <[log in to unmask]>

Martin Meyers <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Feb 2014 13:47:49 -0800

The NBRC has completed its reviews on another packet (19 records.) There were no new species for the state. Six of the records were for sightings that predated the formation of the committee.  We still have quite a large amount of documentation from that period, much of it having been accumulated by the Cressmans (Jim Cressman was the founding secretary of the NBRC), with other documentation coming out of old publications such as the various iterations of what is now North American Birds journal and from Western Birds, the journal of the Western Field Ornithologists. (Incidentally, the next issue of Western Birds will contain the 2012 Annual Report of the NBRC. This will be the second of our annual reports to appear in that journal. Most of the previous reports were published in Great Basin Birds.  All previous NBRC Annual Reports are available on the NBRC website. The 2012 report will be on the website after the publication in Western Birds is distributed.)

When the committee began in 1994, the initial bylaws did not permit reviews of any records that occurred before the committee existed.  Subsequent revisions to the bylaws eventually reversed that decision, but we've still got a lot of work to do to try to get caught up on all the pre-committee records.

In some cases, the older documentation is for species that have subsequently been removed from the state review list. Sightings that occurred before the species was removed from the review list are subject to review. In these cases, we have tried to focus our attention on those pre-committee records that either establish a new earliest date for a species in the state or fill in missing gaps in our understanding of distribution and status.  For example, in this packet, we reviewed four old records for Mew Gull. One of the Mew Gull records was from 1/9/1972 at Las Vegas Bay, Lake Mead NRA.  This record was endorsed and constitutes the earliest NBRC-endorsed record for the species in Nevada. Two of the other Mew Gull records were from Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve (HBVP). One was endorsed, the other will go to a second round of reviews.  These three records are all from southern Nevada.  Until now, all but one of the endorsed records were from northern and central Nevada.  That's an example of what I meant when I said, "...fill in missing gaps in our understanding of distribution and status."

Other records reviewed in this packet included a Chestnut-collared Longspur from Key Pittman WMA (9/23/11) and a McCown's Longspur from the Boulder Beach area of Lake Mead NRA on 10/26/13.  (Chestnut-collared Longspur was removed from the review list on 9/24/11, one day before the biennial committee meeting where we voted to remove it from the review list.)

Two Brown Pelican records, both from Las Vegas Bay (Lake Mead NRA) were endorsed in this packet. One was a pre-committee record for two birds from November/December 1992, the other from August 2013. Six of the ten endorsed records for this species are from that location (and one of those was for 23 birds on 7/17/04.)

A Red-faced Warbler on 6/29/13 at Kyle Canyon (Mt. Charleston) becomes the third endorsed record for that species. All three records are from the same location (the other two were August 2007 and June through August 2009.) That same location provided one of the two Painted Redstart records endorsed in this packet, 6/15/13. The other was at Floyd Lamb Park on 4/6/13.

The committee reviewed two submissions for Black Scoter in this packet. Both were from the Boulder Beach area at Lake Mead NRA, one on 1/5/13, the other on 2/2/13.  Both were photographed, and comparisons of the photographs and other details, along with consideration of other related issues, convinced all of the committee members that the two records pertained to the same bird, and the records were combined into a single record (and endorsed unanimously as the seventh record for Nevada.)  Of the three Scoters species, only Black Scoter is on the Nevada review list.

The remaining records in this packet, all endorsed unanimously, were three records for Purple Martin (5/24/13 for two birds at Dyer, 8/15/13 at Floyd Lamb Park, and 9/9/13 Corn Creek) and two records for Brant (6/14/13 at HBVP and August 2013 at Soda Lake in Fallon for four birds)

As always, you can view all records (there are 1066 of them), ordered by NBRC ID Number, alphabetic order by species English name, or taxonomic order by species, by visiting the NBRC website (address below) and selecting "View NBRC Records".  The display shows the committee decision, sighting dates, submitters' names (if the record is endorsed), and location.  If photos were submitted, one of the photos can be viewed by clicking on the photo link (assuming the record was endorsed, the submitter gave permission to display the photo, and the photo is of sufficient size/quality to display.)

Martin

Martin Meyers
Secretary, Nevada Bird Records Committee
website: http://gbbo.org/nbrc

---