NVBIRDS  February 2014

NVBIRDS February 2014

Brown Booby, no, but probable White-winged Scoters at Cottonwood Cove

justin streit <[log in to unmask]>

justin streit <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Feb 2014 22:13:40 -0500

Arrived at Cottonwood Cove around 10:15 to look for the Brown Booby. Searched every bouy and railing we could see, but no luck. Even perched on a hilltop south of the marina that afforded views south to Lake Mohave and still no luck. However while searching for the booby, Mike Swink and I were able to see two large, fast-flying ducks with all white secondaries flying due south. After eliminating all other possibilities, I'm pretty confident these birds were WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS. Not 100%, but feel pretty confident in the assessment of what we saw. They were spotted flying south down the main channel straight out from the marina and heading due south towards the middle of Lake Mohave. Pretty good looks through the scope.

Not much else interesting at Cottonwood Cove, but we were able to find an unusually high count of 11 Horned Grebes at the north end of Boulder Beach. This is the largest congregation I've seen here. The birds were close to the shoreline where the old tamarisk creeps into the water and were all together (except for one a little further out) and not diving and thus were very easy to count.

Cottonwood Cove Resort & Marina, Clark, US-NV
Feb 17, 2014 10:15 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
11 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard  X
Greater/Lesser Scaup  1    single bird, leaning towards greater on this one based on relatively flat head
White-winged Scoter  2    Two large ducks (looked large-headed too) flying due south towards the deepest part of Lake Mohave(probably near AZ border) very fast and very low to the water. One slightly darker than the other, but both generally dark brown birds with bold, completely white secondaries that did not extend onto coverts. No other markings were apparent other than perhaps slightly lighter bellies, possibly indicating first-year birds. White secondaries were more extensive than seen in Gadwall.
Double-crested Cormorant  3
American Coot  X
Ring-billed Gull  12
American Kestrel  1