NVBIRDS  September 2012

NVBIRDS September 2012

Nice day of birding in Esmeralda County

Martin Meyers <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Sep 2012 23:47:38 -0700

I spent today birding Tonopah, Miller's Rest, and the Fish Lake Valley
(Dyer).  Tonopah and Miller's had little to offer (one female
Black-chinned Hummingbird at Miller's made for some nice photos, and it
was also the only place where I found a Lincoln's Sparrow today.)  But
the Dyer area was VERY birdy, providing a really enjoyable day.  At this
point, I still have one unidentified (but well-photographed) empidonax
flycatcher (I think I know what it is, but I'm waiting for Greg's
opinion).  At one point, a bird that turned out to be a juvenile Cliff
Swallow provided some excitement -- as it flew overhead, it seemed to
have a plain buffy throat, which would suggest Cave Swallow (as yet not
reported in Nevada).  I snapped a couple of really awful photos, and
when I got home and looked at them on the computer, I realized the
throat did have the dark (blackish) coloration expected of Cliff
Swallow.  Too bad!

Brewer's Sparrows were amazing today -- every stop had some, and some
stops had lots.  I'm estimating 160 for the day in Fish Lake Valley, but
I think that's well below the actual number.  Lots of other sparrows,
including one LARK BUNTING (which used to be a Nevada review species,
but we have now pretty much established that they are regular,
especially at one of the private ranches where they seem to be present
every year, sometimes multiple birds).  One Sage Sparrow, lots of Lark
Sparrows, a few pale-lored White-crowns, etc.

Also present in good numbers were flycatchers.  In addition to the
empidonax that I'm still waiting to put a name on, there were multiple
Willow Flycatchers and Gray Flycatchers, at least one Dusky Flycatcher,
one Ash-throated Flycatcher, lots of Say's and Black Phoebes, lots of
Western Wood-pewees, at least one Olive-sided Flycatcher, and many
Western Kingbirds.

A Sora swam around in a ranch pond.  (I don't see them out swimming
around very often.)  Large numbers of Eared Grebes, a very large flock
of Northern Shovelers, and more Bank Swallows than I've ever seen before
in Esmeralda County.

Abandoned Ranch had several immature Swainson's Hawks (along with
several adults and lots of Red-tails.)

Warblers, on the other hand, were in short supply.  Yellow Warblers and
Common Yellowthroats were the only warblers in numbers.  One Wilson's,
one Orange-crowned, and just a few "Audubon's" Yellow-rumps.

Lots of Western Tanagers, with a few Black-headed Grosbeaks.

And one incredibly cute PACIFIC WREN that hid under a piece of cardboard
(but came out for a photo) at Abandoned Ranch

Here's a full list for Fish Lake Valley:

Gadwall
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler	240
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ruddy Duck
California Quail
Eared Grebe	46
White-faced Ibis	1
Turkey Vulture
Swainson's Hawk	4
Red-tailed Hawk
Sora	1
American Coot
Killdeer	1
Spotted Sandpiper
Red-necked Phalarope	3
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Barn Owl	3
Belted Kingfisher	2
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Olive-sided Flycatcher	1
Western Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher	9
Gray Flycatcher	7
Dusky Flycatcher	1
Black Phoebe	3
Say's Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher	1
Western Kingbird
Loggerhead Shrike	2
Common Raven	60
Horned Lark	100
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow	50
Cliff Swallow	1
Barn Swallow
Pacific Wren	1
Marsh Wren	1
American Robin
Sage Thrasher	2
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing	1
Orange-crowned Warbler	1
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)
Yellow Warbler
Wilson's Warbler	1
Chipping Sparrow
Brewer's Sparrow	160
Lark Sparrow
Sage Sparrow	1
Lark Bunting	1
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow	1
White-crowned Sparrow
Western Tanager
Black-headed Grosbeak	2
Lazuli Bunting	16
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
House Sparrow

Martin

 Martin Meyers
 email: Martin  (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
 Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
 Truckee, CA