NVBIRDS  September 2012

NVBIRDS September 2012

Washoe Valley today. Pectoral Sandpiper, Franklin's Gull, plus assorted other stuff

Martin Meyers <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Sep 2012 21:10:51 -0700

I birded the Washoe Valley today.  Nothing as rare as a jaeger, but some
nice birds all the same.

I started at Davis Creek Mudhole Park (alas, the lake is down to little
more than a mudhole).  Well, actually, I started the day by not
realizing the new highway was open to Carson City, which caused me to
end up at the entrance to Davis Creek Park, so I figured "what the heck"
and went in.  Sometimes the willows in this park can be good for
migrants, but not today. However, I did have a couple of Red Crossbills,
which are always fun. (I videoed to record the calls -- when I have some
free time, I'm going to see if I can compare the calls to existing
recordings of the various subspecies and figure out which one was
there.)  Lots of forest denizens, Mountain Chickadees, all three
nuthatches of the west, Brown Creepers, Hairy Woodpecker,  and a whole
bunch of Chipping Sparrows.  There was one Fox Sparrow which I didn't
see very well (and which was silent.)  By range, I'd think it was a
Thick-billed (Sierra) Fox Sparrow, but I can't rule out the interior
(Slate-colored) form from what I saw (and didn't hear.)

After Davis Creek, I went down to the Belleview exit at Washoe Lake to
look for the birds previously reported by Lowry and Scyphers.  I walked
about a mile and a half of shoreline south of Belleview.  I managed to
find two Pectoral Sandpipers, six Sanderlings, two Semipalmated Plovers,
and lots and lots of Least Sandpipers, Western Sandpipers, and Killdeer.
 I also saw the previously reported first-cycle Franklin's Gull (my
first for the year.)  I did not see any Baird's Sandpipers.  Also
observed were Caspian Tern (one immature), the usual California and
Ring-billed Gulls, lots of Savannah Sparrows, Canada Geese, various
ducks, Great Blue Herons, and one Prairie Falcon. I was lucky enough to
see the Prairie Falcon make a high speed, very low rush along the
shoreline and over the water, picking somebody off the surface.  I
couldn't tell what he caught, but it was in an area where there had been
several Eared Grebes.

My next stop was the state park, which was very quiet. After that, I
walked the unpaved road that goes east-west near the lake shore in the
mitigation area at the south end of the lake.  Six Black-crowned
Night-herons circled around me several times (making for some nice
photo-ops.)  There were a few presumed White-faced Ibis in the ponds
south of the road, along with quite a few ducks (Northern Shoveler,
Ruddy Duck, Ring-necked Duck, and Redhead.)  A Marsh Wren chattered
nearby.  A few pale-lored (Gambel's) White-crowned Sparrows and a few
warblers (Yellow-rumped and Common Yellowthroat), and some Barn and Tree
Swallows added to the day.  On the walk back, there were seven Wilson's
Snipe out on a mudbank at one of the ponds.

Martin

 Martin Meyers
 email: Martin  (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
 Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
 Truckee, CA