Desert Loop (Slow)

Greg Scyphers <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:14:43 -0700

On September 9th 2012, Dennis Ghiglieri, Rose Strickland and I birded the
"Desert Loop".  The birding was very slow with low numbers of migrants and
not much of interest.  The best bird was a BOBOLINK at Highland Park in
Tonopah.  The second best bird was a couple Greater White-fronted Geese
which were heard flying over Miller's Rest Stop on the night of the 8th at
about 10:45 PM.  At least this is was new bird for me at Miller's.  There
were almost no Warblers on the day and very few flycatchers.  The largest
accumulation of migrants were found in the Lida orchard due to a very good
crop of apples and pears and in a weedy pasture at Circle L Ranch.  I must
say I am quite saddened to see the poor condition Circle L Ranch is in.  It
has been falling apart for years, but this year it is particularly apparent.
The two pastures on the way in which used to be good grazing grass, are now
completely overrun with weeds including horrible Cockleburs.  The trees are
under-watered and suffering, the lawn around the residence is becoming very
thin and overrun with dandelions.  There is a water leak in the middle of
the road in front of the ranch house, yet no water is present under the
adjacent large Cottonwood row.  It is really sad to see this slow death of
this wonderful place.  It is for sale so hopefully someone, who will
continue to allow birders access of course, will purchase it and return it
to the green oasis it once was.

Here are some of the locations visited and the birds seen (numbers seen are
one unless noted):

Millers Rest Stop
Lincoln's Sparrow
Hammond's Flycatcher
Yellow Warbler (15)
Common Yellowthroat (6)
our best stop for Warblers!!

Highland Park
BOBOLINK
Chipping Sparrows (25)
Vesper Sparrow (2)
Lark Sparrow
Lazuli Bunting (6)
Gray Flycatcher

Tonopah Cemetery
Gray Flycatcher
House Wren
Yellow Warbler (2)
Warbling Vireo
Lark Sparrow (4)
Lazuli Bunting

Old Residence, Lida
Warbling Vireo (2)
Golden Eagle

Lida Pond
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Olive-sided Flycatcher
Bullock's Oriole

Lida Orchard
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
MacGillivray's Warbler (2)
Yellow-breasted Chat
Yellow Warbler (2)
Orange-crowned Warbler
Western Tanager (35)
Black-headed Grosbeak (3)
Bullock's Oriole
Lazuli Buntings (15)
Lark Sparrow (2)
Chipping Sparrow (2)
White-crowned Sparrow (2)
Cedar Waxwing (2)

Lida Summit
Scrub Jay

Dyer Pond
Green Heron
Great-horned Owl (2-4)
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Willow Flycatcher
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow Warbler (4)

Abandoned Ranch
Red-shouldered Hawk
Ferruginous Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Prairie Falcon
Barn Owl (3-5)
MacGillivray's Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Yellow Warbler (2)
Lazuli Bunting (10)
Western Tanager (2)
Lark Sparrow
Willow Flycatcher
Western Wood Pewee (3)

Circle L Ranch
Swainson's Hawk (2)
Ferruginous Hawk
Prairie Falcon
White-faced Ibis (3)
Lark Sparrow (3)
Chipping Sparrow (20)
Lazuli Bunting (50)
Brewer's Sparrow (5)
Western Wood Pewee (6)

Arlemont Ranch
Prairie Falcon
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Lark Sparrow (5)
Cliff Swallow (3)
Barn Swallow (3)
Bank Swallow (2)
Tree Swallow (2)
Red-necked Phalarope (9)
Spotted Sandpiper
Brewer's Sparrow (5)
Rufous Hummingbird
Lewis's Woodpecker

Don't everyone rush out there at once.  I kidding of course, it is migration
and it could be very different out there today.  Besides it only takes one
good bird to change a bad birding day to a great one.

Greg Scyphers
Sparks, NV