NVBIRDS  September 2012

NVBIRDS September 2012

PRAIRIE WARBLER in the Smoke Creek Desert, Washoe County

Greg Scyphers <[log in to unmask]>

Greg Scyphers <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 Sep 2012 13:23:58 -0700

This morning September 8th 2012, I got up very early and headed out to the
Smoke Creek Desert (north of Pyramid Lake) to bird a few isolated sets of
trees in hopes of finding a good bird.  Well, I chose wisely.  I pulled up
to the old Bohnam Ranch which has been abandoned for quite some time.  This
ranch has an old home and another completely fallen structure with a few
trees around, a pond and at least two artesian springs/wells.  The water
flows into three or more marsh areas and the area is fairly green, which is
in stark contrast to the surrounding desert.  I have birded this spot in the
past a few times and always vowed to return during September.  This morning
I arrived to find a good number of birds present feeding in the trees and
bushes around the area.  There were quite a few Warbling Vireos,
Orange-crowned Warblers, Yellow Warblers, Common Yellowthroats, a Willow
Flycatcher and some others actively feeding in a couple large Tamarisks and
neighboring brush.  I birded this spot and then walked a little north when I
saw a couple warblers fly ahead of me by the fence line that is split by the
road (just past the pond on the road).  I got my binoculars on one briefly
and immediately believed I had just seen a PRAIRIE WARBLER.  The bird popped
up to my pishing and I saw that it was indeed a first fall female Prairie
Warbler.  I followed the Orange-crowned Warbler and Prairie Warbler as they
fed in the Rabbit Brush and Sage right alongside the road just past the
fence.  I managed to get some fairly good photos of the Prairie Warbler
which I have posted on my Flickr site.  I stayed with the bird for about 20
minutes before driving north to check the other spots I know about.  The
other spots further up the road yielded only a Nashville Warbler and a
Red-breasted Nuthatch.

This small deserted ranch is 12.8 miles past the Pyramid Lake Paiute
Reservation Boundary (marked by a cattle guard and extensive signage) which
is located north of the Willows area at Pyramid Lake on the same dirt road.
The ranch is on the road and is actually split by the road.  It is the first
spot of green you get to after passing the Willows area.  In fact if you
want to set your odometer at the Willows, it is 21.7 miles to the ranch.
The road greatly improved once you leave the reservation and is nearly as
smooth as a paved road.

I have posted photos of the Prairie Warbler at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvbirdr/

Greg Scyphers
Sparks, NV