Desert Loop Trip & Pahranagat Valley

Greg Scyphers <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 13 May 2012 20:43:37 -0700

On Friday May 11th 2012 I birded Dyer and Lida.  The birding was rather slow
with not too much around.  The HARRIS'S SPARROW is still at Arlemont Ranch
and is looking quite spiffy now.  Also at Arlemont Ranch there was a male
Vermillion Flycatcher.  At Sage Hen Road trees there were very few birds but
a Coachwhip Snake provided some excitement for my dog.  He began to give
chase thinking it was a lizard, but as soon as he recognized it as a snake
he quickly turned tail and went the opposite direction.  I guess his
rattlesnake avoidance training is still stuck in his mind even though his
training was more than 5 years ago.  Not much else of note in Dyer.  There
were singles of Western Wood Pewees at most stops, a few Gray Flycatchers, a
Hammond's or two, still a few Green-tailed Towhees and a few Black-headed
Grosbeaks.  Numbers were still good for Wilson's Warblers and Yellow
Warblers.   Had my first couple MacGillivray's Warblers of the season.  In
Lida, there was a good number of Warblers in the willows with one Nashville,
four Orange-crowned, a Myrtle, an Audubon's, at least 25 Wilson's, 10
Yellows, a Common Yellowthroat, and a couple MacGillivray's.  The only bird
of note was a male Ladder-backed Woodpecker using a telephone pole to drum
on at the old residence in Lida.

On Saturday May 12th, I birded the loop again and was joined by Meg Andrews.
At Miller's Rest Stop we had a male NORTHERN PARULA, a Townsend's Warbler, a
couple Warbling Vireos, an Ash-throated Flycatcher, three Snowy Egrets and
31 Lark Sparrows among others.  At Arlemont Ranch we relocated the HARRIS'S
SPARROW and found a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW drinking and bathing in a water
filled tree well.  There was also a second year Summer Tanager present.  On
the way out of the ranch we pished at the row of trees that are just south
of the houses and found a male BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER.  The bird was kind
enough to sing a few times for us.   At the Dyer Pond we found another
WHITE-THROATED SPARROW.  There were also at least five large bats flying
around in the middle of the day.  I found one in a tree and it looked like a
Hoary.  Not much in Lida other than the continuing Ladder-backed Woodpecker.
At this point I continued south.

The Ponderosa Dairy was fairly slow with one Semipalmated Plover and a few
peeps.  There was also a sick Prairie Falcon at the edge of one of the
ponds.  Not sure what was wrong with it, but it was not behaving normally.

On Sunday May 13th, I found 3 male BOBOLINKS at a private ranch in southern
Lincoln County.  At the roadside rest in Pahranagat there was a Cassin's
Kingbird.  Middle Marsh had a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH.  Near the refuge
headquarters there was a singing Bell's Vireo.  In the row of trees below
the upper Pahranagat Lake Dam, there were two Townsend's Warblers (one was
singing) and another Bell's Vireo.  At the Upper Pahranagat Lake there was a
Brown-crested Flycatcher and a Vermillion Flycatcher.  I had a male Summer
Tanager at Ash Springs.  At Nesbitt Lake (Key Pittman WMA) there were two
NORTHERN WATERTHRUSHES together in a muddy area.  One eventually went up
into a tree and began to sing.  There was also a Swainson's Thrush here.
Not much else to report.

A couple late sightings that I neglected to post last weekend:  On Sunday
May 6th, the female HOODED WARBLER was still at Circle L Ranch in Dyer and
there was a NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH at the Dyer Pond.

Greg Scyphers
Sparks, NV