NVBIRDS  May 2012

NVBIRDS May 2012

Desert Loop trip report, 5/5/12

Martin Meyers <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 May 2012 14:02:27 -0700

Birded the "Desert Loop" yesterday, 5/5/12.  The eastern side (Tonopah
and Miller's Rest Stop) were not very productive (and it was really cold
in the morning), but Dyer was very birdy.  I did not complete the loop,
as it was getting pretty late by the time I finished birding in Dyer
(i.e., did not visit Lida.)  However, Dennis G. and Rose S., with whom I
birded in Dyer, said that Lida had been extremely windy and difficult to
bird (although they said there were quite a few birds hunkered down in
the willow patches.)  Greg S. birded with me on the eastern side, and
again briefly at the end of the day in Dyer.

A few birds of note in Dyer were one HARRIS'S SPARROW at a private ranch
and a female HOODED WARBLER at Circle-L (also private, but very
birder-friendly for several decades.)  Also, a single VAUX'S SWIFT spent
at least an hour circling over the Dyer Pond. A beautiful COMMON LOON in
alternate plumage swam around on a small ranch pond, occasionally
vocalizing.  Interestingly (to me, anyway), there had been an alternate
plumage Common Loon on the same pond on 5/12/07.  A single SWAINSON'S
THRUSH was my earliest for Esmeralda (by one day.)  There was also one
Hermit Thrush.

Empidonax flycatchers were present in good numbers. Most were Grays, but
there were also several Duskies, a few Hammond's, and a few "Westerns".
I have not yet seen a Willow this year. (My earliest record for Willow
Fly in Esmeralda County is 5/22.)

White-crowned Sparrows were abundant at numerous locations.  In nearly
all cases, there were a number of dark-lored individuals (that's the one
that breeds in the Sierra and throughout the interior west.)  Pale-lored
birds (pretty sure all the pale-lored ones I saw were the Taiga breeders
which winter in our area) still outnumbered the dark-lored ones by about
two or three to one.  A few Green-tailed Towhees were nice to see. They
haven't quite made it up to the breeding location near my house in
Truckee yet.

Small groups of Cassin's Finches were spotted at several locations (as
is usual for this time of year.)

Warblers included Wilson's (probably most abundant), Yellow (also lots
of these), Yellow-rumped (with several "Myrtles" mixed in with the
"Audubons" at most locations, Orange-crowned (not too many of these),
Common Yellowthroats, and one Yellow-breasted Chat (and, of course, the
one Hooded.)

A few Black-headed Grosbeaks were at scattered locations, and a few
Lazuli Buntings were at Circle-L. I saw one Plumbeous Vireo (Circle-L)

As usual on the loop, shorebirds were not abundant, although I did have
one Solitary Sandpiper along with the Spotted Sandpipers, Black-necked
Stilts, and Killdeer. There were also several Wilson's Phalaropes.

Incidentally, I saw two very pale Collared-type doves, one at Miller's
Rest, one in Dyer. The Miller's bird was a bit smaller than the
Eurasians it was associating with. I am not sure whether these represent
a pale Eurasian Collared-dove, a Ringed Turtle-dove (technically,
domesticated African Collared-dove), or a hybird combination.  I did not
get to see the underside of the tail on either bird, and neither was
quite as uniformly pale as some others I've observed in the state. All
Ringed Turtle-doves in Nevada are considered to be escaped cage-birds or
offspring of such escapees. They are not considered an "established
introduced species" anywhere in North America.  Interestingly (again,
probably only to me), I grew up in St. Petersburg, FL, which hosted the
only (then) officially established population of these bird, with
thousands flying around in parts of the city.  All have long since
disappeared, and the American Birding Association removed them from the
North American checklist -- when a previously "established" population
of exotics disappears, the presumption is that they really never were
truly established. The same thing happened to the tens or hundreds of
thousands of Crested Mynas that used to inhabit the Vancouver, B.C.
area.

Here's a complete species list for the day (all sightings from Dyer
except the Cedar Waxwings, which were in Tonopah, and the Golden Eagle,
which was near the split of highways 6 and 95.)

Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
California Quail
Common Loon
Eared Grebe
White-faced Ibis
Turkey Vulture
Swainson's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Golden Eagle
American Kestrel
Prairie Falcon
American Coot
Killdeer
Black-necked Stilt
Spotted Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl
Vaux's Swift
White-throated Swift
Black-chinned Hummingbird
Northern Flicker
Hammond's Flycatcher
Gray Flycatcher
Dusky Flycatcher
"Western" Flycatcher
Black Phoebe
Say's Phoebe
Western Kingbird
Plumbeous Vireo
American Crow
Common Raven
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
House Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Swainson's Thrush
Hermit Thrush
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
Sage Thrasher
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Wilson's Warbler
Yellow-breasted Chat
Green-tailed Towhee
Harris's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Black-headed Grosbeak
Lazuli Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Great-tailed Grackle
Bullock's Oriole
Cassin's Finch
House Finch
Pine Siskin
Lesser Goldfinch
House Sparrow

 Martin Meyers
 email: Martin  (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
 Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
 Truckee, CA