NVBIRDS  April 2011

NVBIRDS April 2011

Willow Creek & Mountain Falls: Pahrump (Nye County)

Darlene Feener <[log in to unmask]>

Darlene Feener <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 30 Apr 2011 20:49:24 -0400

Saturday, April 30 2011

Birding started at 6:15a.m.It was 39 degrees with a light wind blowing.

The Cooper's Hawk made a pass over my head and sat at the top of the tree
acrosss the street. He was hunting for breakfast.

Three Red Crossbill's appeared in the pine trees in the parking lot of
Willow Creek. One was an adult female, one an adult male, and one juvenile.

Western Bluebird's were in and out of the pine trees. I was finally able to
take a decent picture on one sitting at the top of a tree.

A lone White-crowned Sparrow was making it's way through the bushes.

A Black Phoebe, flew past me aided with a gust of wind, landing in the
lower branches of a Cottonwood tree, wagging it's tail.

A Northern Mockingbird, came out of the pine tree next to me and landed on
the ground, he was moving about, moving his wings up almost over his head
looking for bugs.

Brown-headed Cowbird's were eating together in the middle of Red-winged
Blackbird's who were in the center of the field.

Verdin's were in and out of their nest, paying close attention to me, so I
moved back from them.

A Crissal Thrasher where I know there is a nest left the nesting area to
move across the street, disappearing into the bushes there.

Three White-face Ibis,with necks extended flew across the sky.

Yellow-headed Blackbird's were making their presence known with their
varied call's.

Cinnamon Teal's, a pair were moving across Ed's pond.

A beautiful Western Kingbird, was at the top of a Cottonwood tree, hanging
on as the wind was moving it about.

A Turkey Vulture cruising across the sky.

A Black-chinned Hummingbird at the top of a Honey Mesquite enjoying the
warmth of the sun as it rose.

One Barn Swallow foraging across Ed's pond.

A Sora, walking along the edges of the pond searching for food amongst the
matter near the water.

Windy condition's and eyes that were running made me head for the car early.
On the way home, I decided to stop at Mountain Falls and see what bird's
were hanging out there.

Ruddy Duck's were on the pond. A Say's Phoebe was doing it's flight dance
across the golf course. Yellow-rumped Warbler's (Audubon's) were
everywhere, hanging off the trees. In the middle of them was a lone male
Wilson's Warbler, which was moving faster through the trees than I am use
to seeing them do. This one was searching each branch. He finally was still
enough that I could see him to take a picture of him.

There were hundred's of swallows, Tree and Violet-green in constant motion.
A beautiful Osprey, made a pass around me as I clicked my camera to take
pictures of him.A single Spotted Sandpiper flew across the pond to the
other end of the golf course, to feed at the edge of the pond.Two Cinnamon
Teal's a male and female on the pond. I wondered if they were the same
Cinnamon Teal's I had seen earlier at Willow Creek.

The last bird of the morning was a Hooded Warbler at the top of a Palm tree.

Submitted by
Darlene Feener
Pahrump, Nevada