WV-BIRD@LIST.AUDUBON.ORG

WV-BIRD Home

WV-BIRD  February 2002

WV-BIRD February 2002

Barnacle Goose sightings

"Felton, Gary L" <[log in to unmask]>

Audubon birding discussion for WV <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:14:30 -0500

I had been loosely following the Barnacle Goose posts on the Va.
listserv, but didn't see any posts regarding how the legitimacy
of the bird had been established.  Since most Barnacle Geese outside
of the maritime provinces are written off as escapees, I had to
wonder about the furor surrounding this particular bird, so I posted
an RFI to that regard and mentioned that I would like to hear an opinion
regarding this specific bird from someone on the Va. records committee.
Steve Rottenborn from the Va. committee responded publicly to the
Va. listserv, so I've included his response below my post.

Because of some birds that had been reported in NJ last week, I made
a spur-of-the-moment decision to run to Cape May on Saturday and because
there had been some mounting evidence to substantiate that the Va. Barnacle
Goose may be truly wild, I also planned on looking for it on my way
home.  But, I happened to run into Paul Lehman in Cape May and after
hearing some enlightening insights of his regarding Barnacle Goose
sightings,
I opted not to look for it.  Besides Steve Rottenborn's post, there
have been some other interesting posts on the Va. listserv regarding
Barnacle Geese sightings in the past and the current crop of sightings.
Regardless of the true nature of the bird in Va., the posts regarding
Barnacle Geese makes for some interesting reading.  Steve's post is
below.

And after seeing 30 mph, bumper-to-bumper traffic lined up on east-bound
I-70 all the way from the I-70/270 split, to almost Hagerstown, I may not
have made it home until today if I had ventured down that way.  I don't
know what route Matt took to get out of there, but 495 and 270 must have
been a mess.

Gary Felton
Kingwood

New