NVBIRDS Archives

discussion about Nevada's bird life

From:
Thomas Miko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Miko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2014 20:08:59 -0700
HiI was at Floyd Lamb State Park a few nights ago, and was rather underwhelmed by the lack of passerine migrants. Tonight, I arrived at 5:00 p.m., and found a large flock of Audubon's Warblers that had a few Orange-crowned and Townsend's in with them, a Myrtle Warbler, a Warbling Vireo, and a couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets. I also flushed a Great Horned Owl, a roosting Turkey Vulture, and a very dark Red tailed Hawk with a white tail. This bird could be a Harlan's Hawk.  So, anyways, it looks like a lot more fall migrants are showing up. I have been unable to bird in the last 4 mornings & daytimes, and now I look forward to birding tomorrow morning. By the way, the cottonwoods at Floyd Lamb are the same types that we have in famous migrant traps in southern California's deserts e.g. Butterbredt Spring or Galileo Hill. At those locations the same patches of green grass, ponds, and cottonwoods would be chock full of birds. At Floyd Lamb, the passerine migrants tend to be in the desert trees and bushes e.g. mesquite and salt cedars.  I don't know if I'm here at the wrong on the wrong week, or if southern Nevada is in a dead zone between the Pacific and Central Flyways.Tom

Thomas Geza Miko,

B.Sc. Radiology, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation & Lab Safety

653 S. Indian Hill Blvd., unit C

Claremont, CA 91711
U.S.A.

Home: 909.445.1456